Wednesday, March 19, 2014

DIY Ribbon Holder




I made this ribbon holder months ago for a Christmas present for my sweet niece Aryia and forgot to post. I think this was actually supposed to be part of her birthday present in August but I tend to run a couple of months behind on most everything.

Materials:
Wood Letter 
Craft Paint
Paint Brush
Ribbon
Hot Glue Gun and Glue




I painted the plaque and letter then used LocTite to glue the letter onto the front once the paint had dried. I'm sure you could use hot glue for this as well but I always have LocTite on hand and I try to prevent hot glue gun burns whenever possible. 


I braved the hot glue gun to adhere the pieces of ribbon to the plaque, cutting several pieces of ribbon to glue. I'm not skilled enough to measure ribbon to include the bow so I cut a long piece for the bow (made it separately), two "tails" that are glued under the bow to actually hang the ribbons, and the piece that is used to hang the plaque from the wall.  Pretty easy stuff!








 photo jenn1.jpg

Friday, March 14, 2014

DIY Framed Bathroom Mirror




This is another Pinterest pick that the hubby and I were both  eager to make. We had a couple of tiny mishaps but I really had no idea how easy this project would be once we picked out the "frame". The toughest part of the whole process was picking out what trim we wanted to use. We ended up with chair rail from Lowes that we both loved.

Because the guest bathroom has a smaller mirror and this was our first major house project, we started there. After gluing the mirror to the wall with Liquid Nails, Jared cut the 4 pieces of trim at 45 degree angles and then we glued the pieces directly onto the mirror with LocTite Mirror. We've seen both Liquid Nails and LocTite being used in different tutorials so we tried both of them - nothing's falling apart yet.



There were some small gaps in the corners of the frame where the pieces met so after letting the mirror glue dry for 24 hours, I used some caulk in the cracks. We painted the wood with white trim paint to cover up scuff marks. The painting probably should have been done before we glued the frame but we were so excited to see it up that we weren't really thinking rationally. Thankfully we had a razor on hand to scrape paint off the mirror.







And this is how the vanity area in our bedroom currently looks.  We moved to another room as soon as the guest bathroom was done. I think at this point we're used to living in chaos. You can see we used heavy ammo cans to keep the corner of the frame from sliding - we're good like that.





 photo jenn1.jpg

Monday, March 3, 2014

Corner Gallery Wall




This weekend I finally realized that we have been in our house for almost a year and still have absolutely nothing on the walls in the living room. I've been obsessively pinning picture galleries on Pinterest and decided that Saturday was the day to start on our own corner gallery. We have this cozy corner in the living area that I've slowly made into a 'reading nook'. And because that is my favorite corner (who says that - favorite corner?!?!) it's the perfect place to hang our happy memories. 

This is one project that I planned for and didn't rush so there were no surprises.




I shopped the house and garage and only ended up having to buy a couple frames. Then I took over my messy guest room and arranged a layout that I was pleased with. The hubs isn't all about randomly sticking things on the wall so I traced the frames on kraft paper and taped them up with washi. There were a couple of rearranged kraft frames but we finally decided on an arrangement that made us both happy.




To avoid taking the frames off the wall too often I made sure to print pictures that I won't have to change for a while. I also chose pictures based on their coloring so that there wasn't too much of one specific color on our turquoise mist walls. And to avoid a million holes in the wall we went with command strips - I'm not too sure how well command strips hold up if you continuously take down the frames but I don't want to be the one to find out the hard way.










Thanks to the kraft frames and planning process we got everything up and level in about thirty minutes. I'm really excited to tackle some more diy home decor now that I've gotten passed that first big project.


 photo jenn1.jpg