Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year's Resolutions


Happy New Year!! 

It's fresh start time! I actually stuck to a couple of my resolutions from last year. Granted, I didn't start working on 2012's resolutions until September but better late than never, right. I started eating healthier, working out, taking better care of myself. Then I took a week or two off from work for the holidays and, well, you all know what happens when you take vacation and sit around. So I'm starting over now. Taking better care of myself 2013!


Months ago my awesome MIL (Momma J) sent me the link to Iowa Girl Eats' blog post on her diet secret: the Green Monster Smoothie. I was a bit skeptical about the taste but it's actually really good. This is completely her smoothie recipe, I only made some tiny changes.





Ingredients:
1 frozen sliced banana (about 100 calories)
1 tbsp peanut butter (90 calories)
1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt (125 calories)
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze milk (30 calories)
Baby spinach (about 20 calories)

(Total calories: about 365) 

I bought a cluster of bananas so that I could have smoothies for a couple of days without having to go back to the store. Kristin (Iowa Girl) recommends cutting up the bananas BEFORE freezing them so I cut up all 6 of my bananas and froze them in individual ziploc bags.  I eat a lot of yogurt and always stock up on the big boxes of greek yogurt cups at Sams. So I used one of the individual oikos fruit on the bottom greek yogurt cups (assortment comes in strawberry, blueberry and cherry). Each cup is a little over a half cup at 5.3 ounces. I just dump the yogurt in the blender, pop in a bag of frozen nanners, a spoonful of peanut butter, and fill the yogurt cup with the almond milk adding a bit more of the milk since it calls for a full cup. I don't measure any of my ingredients because I hate dirtying up measuring utensils. When I add the spinach, I just basically pour it in the blender until it loosely reaches the top. Blend and enjoy.

You really can't taste the spinach at all. The one flavor I taste most is the peanut butter. The strength of the flavors would depend on how much you put in the mix. So any way that has been my breakfast for the past three mornings. It's delish!




Photobucket

No comments: